Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 16, 2006

the break-up spoiler


Tanya and I went to see this movie Friday night and came out feeling a bit empty. I am a hopeless romantic and I wanted to see a Hollywood ending. You know where everyone walks into the sunset arm and arm. Well if that is what you want then you want another movie. I left feeling empty and unfufilled. The arguments were true to life and you could see yourself in the characters. The man argument of the movie is why won't some men do things for their partners just because there partners want to do it. Like sitting in a motorcycle shop for hours in the cold just cus that's where the man you love is. Why can't he inturn go to the arts festival just because you love it? Well in my world that just doesn't happen. My favorite quote from the movie is
"So you want me to do the dishes"- Gary
"No, I want you to want to do the dishes" -Brooke
That's all were askin' here men we want you to want to do something for us just because you love us. Is that so much to ask? So I guess what I am saying is the movie is good just a little to close to home and I wanted it to all work out in the end.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that you were disapointed by hollywood's unhappy ending. If you know how to look for it, sometimes real life can have a "hollywood ending".

Anonymous said...

"That's all were askin' here men we want you to want to do something for us just because you love us. Is that so much to ask?"

I hear what you are saying, and I completely agree! All we want is for someone to do for us like we do for them, but there is a flaw in the logic. Our expectations (and therefor our occasional dissapointment) are based on our personal point of view. We want them to do for us according to our own internal expectations. Unfortunately these are the same expectations on which we do things for others in the first place.

But because everyone's views, expectations, and perceptions are unique we really aren't equipped to understand the actions (or inactions) of others. It is inherantly unfair to hold others to our own internal expectations, for they will inevitably fall short.

This doesn't change the fact that we still want what we want, but I propose that the happier path lies in simply doing for others without the expectation of something in return. If for no other reason than that for all we know they may be doing for us already and we cannot understand or appreciate what has been done for us because of our preconcieved expectations.

An old proverb:
A woman goes into a relationship expecting him to change, a man goes into a relationship expecting her to stay the same...They are both surprised.

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a guy, I will never WANT to do the dishes. I might want to go to the arts festival, even if I don't like it. Wanting to do the dishes is just not going to happen.

Doesn't sound like a very good movie. But then I am a guy.